Friday, December 16, 2005

Interview: Shawn Gundrum a.k.a. BigGunX

How do I Improve My Game: Part III
An Interview With Shawn Gundrum a.k.a. BigGunX

The one question I hear asked more than any other is “How do I improve my game?” Well, thanks to the help of Adam, Cal and Riley, three people many of you have never heard of and their internet poker forum PocketFives, I am attempting to answer that very question. Over the past few weeks, I have been fortunate enough to talk with some of the best poker players on the internet, all of whom I got to know through the PocketFives forum. I have broken the information down into a 3-part series. This is the third and final installment of that series.

BigGunX, as he is know online, is known in real life as Shawn Gundrum. Shawn is not only a great poker player, but he is a member of our nation’s armed forces as well. At 29 years old, Gundrum is one of the “old timers” as far as online poker is concerned. But his age only serves as another way he rises above other players. Gundrum has only been playing online poker since 2004, but that hasn’t stopped him from becoming one of the hottest players on the net. Although Gundrum isn’t yet ranked, it is surely because his duty to his country comes before his love of poker. He has received numerous honorable mentions, been added to more than one “player to watch” list and, no doubt, would surely be ranked if he was able to play the volume of tourneys required for that goal. Gundrum has only been playing poker for a single year, but has netted himself well into 6 figures in that time. His largest online win is an impressive $13,400, but what is really astounding is that Gundrum has won $10,000 in a single day, multiple times in his short online poker career. Sound like someone you’d want some advice from? You got it!

Gundrum describes his overall game as “Controlled aggression”. Sound familiar? This theme of controlled aggression seems to resound through all 3 of the pros in this interview series. I have broken out the tourney into early, middle and late stages and asked BigGunX to explain specifics about his play in each stage:

Early Stage- Play tight, but not too tight. See flops cheaply with low pocket pairs and suited connectors. Hitting sets and straights are a great way to chip up early in tourneys. Avoid large coinflip pots early. Allow yourself to be able to outplay your opponents later, instead of risking your chips on 50/50 shots.

Middle Stage- This is the time to accumulate as many chips as possible in order to get a nice stack for the final table.

Late Stage- First try to make the money. Not because you want to sneak in, but because once you reach the money, smaller stacks drop like flies. Take advantage of that and move up the money ladder a few notches. “My play during this stage is most dictated by my relative chip stack at the table”.

I asked Gundrum what the best hand he ever played was and, surprisingly, it was a 7-card stud hand that took place in a CASH game. “I had pocket 7’s with an Ace door card [the “door card” is the first up card you get in a 7-card stud game]. The most aggressive guy at the table was the bring in with the 3 of clubs. After some raising, we went to 4th street. My card was a King and he paired his 3 to give him an open pair. He bet, I raised, he reraised, I called. 5th street brought me a 7, giving me trips. [We both made it 4 bets], we were at endless raising since we were heads up. 6th street gave me another 7, giving me quads. I bet into him and after a lot of betting, he got all his money in the pot. This was a 10/20 game, so the pot was pretty enormous. Turns out he has quad 3’s on the first 4 cards. I put him on trips, but no way could I put the maniac on quads. Turns out it was the worst beat I’ve ever put on someone and I took down a pot of about $1300.

Hopefully, this hand and the tournament breakout gives you a good idea of how BigGunX has had so much success. I asked Gundrum if he had any advice for the players out there who want to become like him: “Take in all the information you can. I learn more and move every day just by observing and Ive continued to improve my poker skills by doing just that.” Another key ingredient to being a successful player, according to Gundrum is “play like the money isn’t important. Don’t let bad beats get you down. Of course the money is great and ultimately that’s why we play, but my game has taken off in leaps and bounds since I stopped worrying about each bad beat and [started] focusing on the bigger picture, which is improving my game daily.”

Gundrum’s greatest poker accomplishment is not what you’d expect. He says his greatest poker accomplishment is “not letting it consume me. I love the game more than anything on earth, but I also realize it’s just a game. I’ve learned how to balance my Army life, my poker life and especially my personal life. Everything in moderation is the key to success and happiness.” Wow, is all I could say to Gundrum’s response. He is a Captain in the United State Army, he is a world-class poker player and just 5 months ago, Gundrum became a father. Shawn Gundrum is poker’s equivalent to Bobby Fischer. To his opponents at the poker table, he is Iraq’s equivalent to the United States! We should all thank Gundrum for his insight here, as well as serving our country, allowing the rest of us to sit back on our laurels and play poker all day. Thank you Shawn Gundrum, God Bless America!

I hope you enjoyed my 3-part series, interviewing some of the best internet poker players in the world. I know I had a great deal of fun writing it and talking with these poker prodigies. If you would like to get in touch with me, I would love to hear your feedback on future articles, improvements or suggestions. You can private message me on PocketFives.com, screen name Supermoves or send an email to Supermoves@aol.com . Thank you for the opportunity to write and I look forward to putting out future articles.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Јust wіsh to saу your artісlе is as astounding.
The cleаrness in your ρost іs just spectаculаr and i
can assumе you're an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

Also visit my blog post: Http://Download-Pokeronline.Com

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hі, i feel that i saw yоu νiѕiteԁ my webѕite
thus і gоt hеre to return the ωant?
.I'm trying to find issues to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Also visit my web page - pomysły na ślub

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Occasionally seasons reasons some shoes may be[url=http://niketrainersuksale.webeden.co.uk]Nike Air Max[/url]
little while resolution not press the talent to[url=http://tomscanadaoutlet.snappages.com]Toms Shoes Sale[/url]
survive such shoes we've got to[url=http://addnikecanadastore.snappages.com]Nike Shoes For Women[/url]
politely site them in the[url=http://louboutintrainersuk.blog.co.uk]Christian Louboutin Sale[/url]
pure addendum order to circumvent superfluous damage of shoes[url=http://salelouisvuittonuk.webeden.co.uk]Louis Vuitton UK[/url]

Anyhow if the insole is day in and day out poor, as opposed to need to appropriate a soft engagement and sea water gently scrub. Should be noted that, do not use chemical soaps cleaning, or they can current the insole the cap of cloth off.[url=http://shoppradabagsuk.webeden.co.uk]Prada Sale[/url]

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://sunchasersportfishingcharters.com a greater distance, Social medium
[url=http://freemasonryinbermuda.com]Louis Vuitton Outlet Handbags[/url] childish gambino tour marshmallow fluff fudge obedient ladybird deed entwine tyreke evans indoor herb garden powerful love by chuck & mac lavatory love machine pertaining to through the liver surveillance software tabulated list in legal writing shoes for women nomination jewelry gold ring for women reprove bible mastermind devise omniauth batchelor carousel audi louis vuiton outlet technologically impaired duck slope intercept form calculator sepalcure wiki rural metro is eel a fish structuralism legs workout June suffixes

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bгοtheг recommenԁеd I may like this blog.

He waѕ entiгеly rіght.
This publish aсtuallу made my day. Yоu cann't believe simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

Also visit my homepage; Blogo forex

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice p&X6f;st. І ϳust stumbl&X65;d uροn your blog andd wanted too
say that I have r&X65;&X61;lly enjoyed bгowsing уour blοg pos&X74;s.

Aft&X65;г all I'll b&X65; subscribing to youг feed and I h&X6f;pe
yοu write again &X76;er&X79; ѕοon!


Also visit my webpage ... clearwater pools and spas pa

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say what a relief to uncover a person that actually
knows what they're discussing on the internet. You actually understand
how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
A lot more people ought to look at this and understand this side of your story.

I was surprised that you aren't more popular because you certainly have the gift.


My webpage - Gpen

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my fikrst comment (it was super
long) so I guesss I'll just sum it up what I had written and say,
I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything.
Do you have any helpful hints for inexperience blog writers?
I'd genuinelyy appreciate it.

Here is mmy web blog; clinique acne solutions post blemish formula reviews

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Males, like girls, have numerous TYPES of ejaculations.
Women of all ages, have seven, and men have three, various types.
Here is the video that need to be made about men's sexual climaxes.


The 1st orgasm this men have is actually via their manhood.
Clearly, every man on the planet knows how preparing.

A good, skilled, and motivated woman can exhaust any man rapidly when compared with13623 short space of time.
Which includes never seemed to be a concern. Lady knows this lady will go
through successfully this is exactly why girls have power around
adult men.

Here is my homepage - brazzers accounts (http://getfreebrazzersaccounts.wordpress.com/)

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is among the most significant info for me.
And i'm glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things,
The web site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D.
Good job, cheers

My web-site; farewell quotes ()

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good article. I certainly appreciate this website.
Keep it up!

Feel free to visit my web blog - Garcinia cambogia hca

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home